Have you ever went to start your car, only for it to sputter and not come on? It’s a bad feeling when you realize your car won’t start. Even worse is having to call someone to see if they can come help you jump start your car. While trying to jump start your car is relatively simple, you still need to know what to do. This article will help you.
Steps to jump start your car
- The first thing you need is a pair of jumper cables. You should keep a set in your car in case you or someone you may know might need them.
- When the other car is there to jump the car make sure the front of the car’s are close but not touching. Both cars need to be off for the next part.
- You will need to connect the jumper cables to their respective sides on the battery of the car. positive to positive and negative to the negative. Keep the metal clamps from touching to reduce any chance of sparks. You will do the same things with the other car as well.
- Once the clamps are on, you want to start the car that will be charging the dead battery. Let it run for a couple of minutes.
- Start the car being charged and let it run for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cables connected to each car battery, make sure to not let the clamps touch to prevent sparks.
- Close the hood of the cars and you should be good to go. Note that if your car battery is old you might want to go get it replaced because the chances of you having to jump start it again if it stops are high.
It may seem like a lot of information, but it is simple enough. If you don’t feel comfortable with doing anything on this list, you can also call roadside assistance to help you.