Legal Logic: What You Need to Know About Car Insurance

THINK YOU SO MUCH, BRAD PITT OR YOU CAN CATCH TMZ ON FOX PROVIDENCE AT 7:30 PM

BRENDAN: THIS MORNING AND LEGAL LOGIC WE ARE TALKING CAR INSURANCE WE HAVE BRIAN HERE TO TELL US MORE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING NO-FAULT INSURANCE GOOD MORNING BRIAN: TABLE FOR TWO RIGHT HERE BRENDAN: WE HAVE TO HAVE CAR INSURANCE

SO IMPORTANT BRIAN: IT'S MANDATORY IN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND AND IN ALL STATES I THINK THERE IS A LOT OF MISUNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT NO-FAULT INSURANCE MEANS BRENDAN: WHEN IT COMES TO THIS, THERE'S A MISUNDERSTANDING SO WE HAVE SOME CONFUSION WHAT REALLY IS THE DIFFERENCE? BRIAN: ALL NO-FAULT INSURANCE MEANS IS THAT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WILL PAY YOUR MEDICAL BILLS EVEN IF THE OTHER GUY IS AT FAULT

YOUR INSURANCE WILL COLLECT FROM THE OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY BUT THE TRADITIONAL NOTIONS OF FAULT ARE STILL IN PLACE IF SOMEONE BANGS INTO YOU AND IT IS THEIR FAULT, THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY WILL PAY YOU AND YOU BRING A CLAIM AGAINST THEM BUT YOU MAY ALSO HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE AND MASSACHUSETTS MANDATES YOU HAVE A THOUSAND AND RHODE ISLAND THERE IS NO MANDATORY, IT IS $5,000 THEN YOU GET THE MONEY BACK FROM THE OTHER INSURANCE

BRENDAN: CERTAINLY WHERE WE LIVE IN SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, THAT CLOSE PROXIMITY IN SO MANY OF US GOING BACK-AND-FORTH WE HAVE VIEWERS INTO LIVE IN BOTH PLACES IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BRIAN: ANOTHER BIG DIFFERENCE IS THE WHOLE LIABILITY CONCEPT IN MASSACHUSETTS, YOU HAVE TO BEAT — IF YOU HAVE 50% OR MORE AT FAULT, YOU GET NOTHING IF IT'S A 50-50 DEAL, NOON OR SECTION AND TWO CARS CRASH AND HE SAID THEY HAD A GREEN LIGHT AND IT'S 50-50, IN MASSACHUSETTS YOU LOSE

IN RHODE ISLAND, HOWEVER, IT IS A P OR CASE YOU MIGHT BE 80% AT FAULT AND THE OTHER PERSON IS 20% AT FAULT, BUT YOU COULD STILL COLLECTED LET'S ASSUME THE CASE IS WORTH AT LEAST $100,000 AND YOUR 80% AT FAULT ALL YOU'RE GOING TO GET IS 20,000 THEY WILL REDUCE THE AWARD BY THE AMOUNT OF YOUR FAULT

IN MASSACHUSETTS, SAME THING, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE AT LEAST 50% OR MORE NOT TO AT FAULT IN ORDER TO COLLECT THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO STATES IN TERMS OF LIABILITY BRENDAN: WE'RE TALKING THE LAW HERE, HAVING INSURANCE A LOT OF PEOPLE — THIS IS MANDATORY BRIAN: IT IS MANDATORY

RHODE ISLAND, BELIEVE IT OR NOT WAS ONE OF THE LAST STATES TO REQUIRE TO MAKE INSURANCE M MANDATORY BUT IT IS NO MANDATORY THERE ARE BIG PENALTIES IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT YOU WILL END UP AT THE TRAFFIC TRIBUNAL BEFORE ONE OF THESE JUDGES AND PAY THE FINE YOU HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE

BRENDAN: ANY STATE CAN BE NUMBER ONE BRIAN: RHODE ISLAND WAS THE LAST STATE AND THE UNION BRENDAN: AT LEAST WE ARE THERE NOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC OR TO